If you are moving from one iPhone to the next or you you want to backup and transfer your iPhone games to another iOS device such as iPad or iPod Touch, this tutorial is for you.
Here, I demonstrate how to backup and transfer any iPhone game such as Angry Birds, Candy Crush, or Flappy Bird along with game saves to another iOS device.
Backup iOS games and progress and transfer to another iPhone independent of iTunes
While iTunes can back up your iPhone games, it will not save the game progress. On the other hand, using iCloud to back up the games may not be a solution for you either as iCloud does not restore selected games and scores but restores the whole device to a previous state.
This is where you using an alternative backup and transfer solution such as CopyTrans Apps comes in handy. CopyTrans Apps is a PC program designed to back up and transfer iPhone games and game progress. Download it from here:
1. Run CopyTrans Apps on your PC and connect the iPhone. You’ll see the games appear in the program window
2. Select the games that you want to backup
3. Click on the Backup App button
4. Choose the place on your computer where to backup the games
5. Accept the next prompt by clicking OK
6. The games and game save data are saved to the PC destination of your choice. Each game is saved to a separate dedicated IPA file
You can use these IPA files to transfer the games to another iPhone or iPad. Simply connect the other device and drag and drop the IPA files to the main program window.
Confirm the game installation by clicking Ok.
Now you have the games complete with game scores transferred to your other iOS device and at the same time backed up to your PC.
Use iTunes to backup iPhone games
The easiest and most secure method to backup and transfer apps and games on any iPhone to a new iOS device is to use iTunes.
- Run iTunes and connect your iPhone
- Click on the iPhone device within iTunes
- From the “Summary” tab, click “Back Up Now” under “Manually Back Up and Restore”
- If prompted, click “Back Up Apps” – you must have all iPhone apps backed up to your iTunes library in order for the apps and app data to be restored on your new iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Disconnect the iPhone from iTunes and connect the iPad or the new iOS device. Click on the new iOS device it appears in iTunes
- Click “Restore” under “Manually Back Up and Restore” from the “Summary tab
- Select the backup you just made on your iPhone
- Wait for iTunes to restore all apps, games app data, game saves, and settings to the new iOS device
- Your iPhone games appear on the new iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch in exactly the same way you left them along with game saves. In this case, I give an example of the restored Flappy Bird game with my high-score of 10 transferred from my iPhone to my iPad
Note that iTunes cannot restore game saves for individual games to the new iPhone or iPad. You can use iTunes to install individual games on the iOS device, however, to restore the game saves you need to restore the entire iPhone/iPad from a backup you created of your old iOS device where the game-saves originally exist. Both the old and the new iDevice must be updated to the latest iOS version before you effectuate the transfer.
Backup and restore iPhone games and apps via iCloud
Another quick method to backup and restore iPhone games is via using iCloud. In the process, just as with iTunes, iCloud will restore a snapshot of your entire iOS settings, games, game saves and other apps to the new iPhone or iPad.
- Back up the existing iPhone games, apps and settings by navigating to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Back Up Now
- On the new iOS device, you need to restore iCloud backup you just made. To do so, on the new device, navigate to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
- This will remove all your settings and files along with apps and music on your new iOS device. From the Setup Assistant which appears after the new iOS device restarts, tap “Restore from a Backup” then sign in to iCloud. Select the backup entry you just made for your iPhone. To find out more about how to restore your new iOS device from iCloud backup, refer to the following apple tutorial:
The iPhone games and game saves have been transferred to the new iOS device along with other apps, app data, settings, messages, contacts, etc.
This is how to backup and transfer games and game saves from old iPhone to new iPhone.